OF CLOUDS - Pixels - Wavewave - Youcantstopah

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

51. MASSIVE ATTACK + EDOUARD SALIER

Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Massive Attack - Splitting the Atom directed by Edouard Salier

HEY! This post marks the beginning of my contributions to YOUCANTSTOPAH! As a kind of preamble, I want to toss out there HOW I will be contributing to the blog... I fucking love music, its basically a drug to me. And as a visual artist, there's nothing that gets me more excited than a solid connection between music and visuals. So, with that being said, my posts will mostly comprise of music videos, audio-synchronized visuals, as well as the work of VJs and other live performance shit that I find awesome.

Getting down to business, this music video for Splitting the Atom by Massive Attack, comes from artist/designer/director/photographer, Edouard Salier. The video is a great example of visual storytelling, holding your attention by upping the ante bit by bit. The entire video is this single frozen moment, like someone hit a big old pause button. The only thing moving is the camera which flies and swings through this scene, revealing a little more with each turn. By the end, you're asking yourself, "Wait, how did this start again?" Beyond the concept, the video looks amazing with strong aesthetic choices, awesome 3D modeling/rendering, and the camera movement is delightful! Massive Attack seems to always collaborate with the right folks for their videos. Years back, their video for Karmacoma, directed Jonathan Glazer, was among my favorites.

Definitely check out Edouard Salier's Vimeo as well as his website. He's worked with other musicians such as Air and Raphael Saadiq.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

Genevieve Snow said...

this new album is hot i've been playing it on my show. never saw the video before now but i'm digging it. thanks for sharing