OF CLOUDS - Pixels - Wavewave - Youcantstopah

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

42. DEFEAT

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

i heard about DEFEAT through a request from our facebook fan page (join plz). as usual, i'm always happy to hear requests - but when i checked him out - i was REAL impressed. this type of thing is really exciting, guys.

so imagine if mstrkrft's first album (i liked it better anyway), alex metric, russ chimes, redial (another up and comer) and danger were all able to have a super baby (a la the film junior) - that would be DEFEAT. his music is a little HEAVIER than some of those guys, but still has that funky sound. loving the axe-style synth! and this guy is going places. any time i'm able to ask a few questions, i do because it's effin' awesome to hear a little bit from the musician. here's a little DEFEAT interview:

slam: when i listen to your music i think of Emilio Estevez "dancing" in Breakfast Club. is that a pretty good way to describe it? running, psyched, fist pumping?

DEFEAT: Haha, that's an interesting way to describe my music in a picture. I would agree that in terms of Emilio's epic dance moves, I also strive to bring epic & emotional elements into my music. I feel that I need to transport the listener somewhere and take them on a journey. This is why I have such a love for 80's music in general. Pop/Glam Rock bands from that era made the most epic songs of all time and bands like Tears For Fears & Simple Minds are perfect examples of this. I guess I just love manifesting that nostalgic feeling you get from listening to 80'smusic, and injecting it into my own work.

slam: where are you from? how long have you been doing this?

DEFEAT: Perth, Australia. I've been making music for around 10 years now on and off, I had originally started making drum'n'bass which progressed over the years into slower styles of electronic music like nuskool breaks & house, and finally electro/disco. It's been quite a journey in terms of my changing taste in music and the learning curves & experiences along the way.

slam: what are some of your favorite artists and who do you draw influence from?

DEFEAT: Too many to list! I think when growing up there were some definite influences that I can recall, especially Michael Jackson & Quincy Jones' productions, I was obsessed with MJ when I was a kid, but who wasn't in the 80's? U2 and Roxy Music are two more bands that I think have influenced me a lot, and I would like to think that stems from Brian Eno's background work with both of the bands, he is a genius! More recent artists of today include Daft Punk & Justice. I just love the French-Touch sound.

slam: you have the material for an LP (or a couple of EPs) and the production level already seems pretty high. what's happening next?

DEFEAT: Well, I've had some interest from a couple of local Australian labels so far but nothing concrete and I'll be doing some light touring in March across the country in Sydney so we'll see how that goes for now.

slam: you collaborating with any other artists on any projects?

DEFAT: Personally I've never worked with anyone else in the studio before, I've had requests to do some official remixes at the moment so I'll definitely just be concentrating on those for the time being.

slam: Awesome - looking forward to it!

-----------------
i've listened to all of his stuff and it was very hard to choose only a few tracks:





also, head over to trashbag kids and you'll find a DEFEAT mixtape!

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Unknown said...

good stuff!

Oprah Einstein said...

Slam, My only request is that one be able to preview songs directly from your site without having to download.

I've been "defeated."

Yers,

O.E.

slam said...

yo O.E.

we've been using mediafire to host our music, and it doesn't always work for us to have jscript players w/ mediafire. when we get our own domain and hosting that will be one of the many improvements. already have the code to do it, just need the hosting!

thanks for the words!

Oprah Einstein said...

Whatever.